Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Old friends, new friends, history of, Facebook

So I was contacted on Facebook by and old friend. We met before school when our parents happened to stand near each other during a car derby. We were to short to see over the fence, so ended up playing with each other and listening to the crashes and the crowd. She was my age, her younger brother was my brothers age. My sister was a baby, so it didn't really effect anything.

A year later, we stop at a new bus stop, and my old friend gets on the bus. She was so nervous to get on a bus with people she didn't know, I shouted her name, moved over, and had a instant best friend who lived a couple of blocks away from me. We were only six, but we spent a lot of time running back and forth to each others house. It was a very friendly small town in MN, not sure I would let my six year run all over the neighborhood like we did, but it was the norm back then.

My Dad got transferred to Missouri when I was 10. You make all the motions and platitudes about keeping in touch. Long distance was expensive back then, and I had to get permission to use the phone and all. I think we even wrote a few letters. So wonderful to hear from her and catch up on her life. It was like the last 30 years melted away.

We moved around a lot, after Missouri we moved to the Chicago area, and then to the Denver area. I have set up house here and am staying. My parents have retired to Wisconsin, my brother is career Army and is currently in Nebraska. My sister lives not far from my parents in Wisconsin. Facebook has brought a lot of old friends back into my life. I originally set it up after having Victor in the hospital so that I could easily upload photos for the grandparents. Friends and family joined to see the photos, and then came the old friends. I don't play any of the games or quizes, but I am truly blessed to have these people back in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment